Honey Pomegranate Tabbouleh with Quinoa and Ancient Grains
This twist on more traditional tabbouleh switches out bulgur for Quinoa and Ancients Grains Medley, which adds nutty flavour and enticing chewy texture while packing a nutritional wholegrain punch. This is delicious as a side salad or main dish top with roasted, sliced chicken or eggplant and crumbled goat’s cheese.
Serves: 6 (1 cup/250 mL each)
GARLIC QUINOA AND ANCIENT GRAINS:
- 1 cup (250 mL) Uncle Ben’s® Quinoa andAncient Grains Medley
- 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coconut oil or canola oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) minced garlic
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
HONEY POMEGRANATE TABBOULEH:
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped parsley
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced yellow and/or orange tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) minced red onion
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- Garlic quinoa and ancient grains: In a saucepan over high heat, combine Uncle Ben’s® Quinoa and Ancient Grains Medley, water, coconut oil, garlic and salt; stir well. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 18 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl, fluff with a fork and let cool completely.
- Honey pomegranate tabbouleh: Add parsley, tomatoes, pomegranate arils, mint and onion to cooled quinoa mixture; toss to combine. Stir in olive oil, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper. Keep chilled and serve within 2 hours. (To make ahead, toss with tomatoes and pomegranate just before serving).