- 8 large flour tortillas
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2½ tbsp lime juice
- 1½ tsp each kosher salt & dried oregano
- 2 tsp each ground cumin & chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Few dashes hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp each ground coriander & dried oregano
- ½ tsp each ground cumin & salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 can (28 oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet red pepper, cored, seeded & sliced
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Pickled jalapenos
- Marinate chicken: Trim fat; slice crosswise (¼- to ½-inch wide). Place in bowl or freezer bag. Add other ingredients and mix. Marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
- Tomato sauce: In large saucepan, heat oil over medium; sauté onion and garlic with spices, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until spoon scraped across pan bottom leaves gap that fills slowly, about 20 minutes.
- Chicken filling: Drain marinade from chicken. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high; brown chicken in batches. Transfer to bowl.
- Drain fat from pan. Add red pepper, salt and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring, until tender-crisp, 3 minutes. Add to chicken; let cool. Stir in 1 cup cheese and 2 tbsp cilantro.
- Spread 1 cup tomato sauce in 13x9 glass baking dish. Ladle heaping ½ cup filling down centre of each tortilla; roll tightly and place, seam side down, in dish. Spoon on remaining sauce. Cover with foil; bake at 375°F for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake, uncovered, until tip of knife inserted in centre of enchilada 5 seconds comes out hot (about 10 minutes). Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and pickled jalapenos. Serve with guacamole, beans, sour cream, roasted-corn salsa—whatever you like!
TIP: If prepared ahead and frozen, add 10 minutes to covered baking time.