Panko-Breaded Potato Croquettes
Top these appetizer-sized croquettes with herbed sour cream – with or without an additional piece of cooked bacon as garnish – and serve on a platter at a buffet table or as passed canapes. Feel free to double the first five ingredients as you’ll have more of the breading ingredients than is needed for this number of croquettes.
Serves: 4 (2 pieces each)
- 2 cups (500 mL) Cavendish Farms® Country Cut
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded Havarti cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped, cooked bacon
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- ½ cup (125 mL) milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups (750 mL) panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter (or vegetable oil)
- In pot of boiling water, add potatoes; reduce heat
and simmer until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Place potatoes in potato ricer; press through and into bowl (there should be 2 cups). Add both cheeses, the bacon, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Working with 1/4 cup of the mixture per croquette, form each into a round, slightly flattened round shape. Repeat with remaining mixture to make 8 croquettes.
- Place milk in one small bowl, flour in another, beaten eggs in a third and panko in a fourth bowl. Dip each croquette into milk to coat; roll in flour, shaking off any excess. Dip into eggs to coat; roll in panko, pressing lightly to ensure entire surface is coated. Repeat with remaining croquettes.
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat; fry croquettes, turning once, until golden brown and crisp, 5 to 6 minutes.