Creamy Potato and Vegetable Casserole
For dinner or as a hearty lunch, this comforting casserole is perfect as a meatless main or served alongside roasted chicken. You may wish to blanch vegetables first to speed cook time along. Cooked potato wedges can be halved before casserole is baked for more evenly sized ingredients. The Parmesan cheese is optional, or you may choose to offer it on the side for sprinkling on at the table.
Serves: 3 to 4
- Half pkg Cavendish Farms® 8-cut Wedge, Skin-on
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) olive oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) small broccoli florets
- 1 cup (250 mL) small cauliflower florets
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped sweet yellow or orange peppers
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped zucchini
- ½ cup (125 mL) thinly sliced carrots
- 2 cups (500 mL) prepared Alfredo sauce
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh basil
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) chili pepper flakes, optional
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add oil, swirling to coat bottom of pan. Add potatoes; cook, turning once, 4 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- In large bowl, toss broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, zucchini and carrots; add Alfredo sauce, half each of the cheese and the basil, and the chili flakes, mixing gently to coat. Gently mix in potatoes.
- Scrape mixture in greased casserole dish or individual oven-safe gratin dishes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake in preheated 400°F (200°C) oven until vegetables are tender and sauce is bubbly, about 20 minutes. Garnish with remaining basil.
TIP: After baking, broil briefly to brown top of casserole or individual dishes before serving, if desired.